Tuesday, October 23, 2007

"It's a Gas"!

On behalf of the PARC Workshop, I'd like to thank everyone who supported the recent Duck Derby, a major annual fund-raising project for the sheltered workshop for the handicapped and disabled. This year a record 4,500 tickets (each representing one plastic duck entered in the race) were sold. Proceeds of an estimated $13,000 to $14,000 were generated by the ticket sales this year to help meet capital improvements and needs at this "Special Place for Special People," PARC Workshop. A total of 282 prizes were awarded based on the outcome of the plastic duck race.

As you have probably heard by now, lucky me won a much coveted prize (PARC Director Henry Ayers says this has popular prize for years) of 100 pounds of pinto beans with chow chow in the Derby. I've heard and made a lot of jokes about it but that is a nice gift if you love this southern culinary delicacy as much as me (pintos, corn bread, and onions is a meal fit for a king where I come from). When thinking of my good fortune, for some reason, words from the rock 'n' roll classic hit "Jumpin' Jack Flash" by the Rolling Stones come to mind. "It's a gas, gas, gas," wails lead singer Mick Jagger in that rock standard. "A gas" indeed! I am still "quacked up" over my good fortune. As much as I like pinto beans, I feel that there is a much better use for them than just my personal consumption (If you had them once a week, how long it take to eat 100 pounds of pinto beans?). I've had several responses to my offer to share them with others in the community. After careful consideration, I have decided to donate my Duck Derby pinto beans to upcoming benefit events for Sheriff David Hubbard. The first one will be on Sat., Nov. 10th from 1-8 p.m. at Hardin Reynolds Memorial Hospital.

The Nov. 10th "Stars of David" Benefit for Sheriff Hubbard is being organized by co-workers in the Patrick County Sheriff's Department, friends, community leaders, churches, and other interested citizens who respect Sheriff Hubbard and commend the job that he has done as our sheriff before illness forced his early retirement and precluded a run for re-election. Proceeds will be used to help defray the enormous medical expenses that David has incurred and will continue to face during his recovery. The Nov. 10th event promises to be a great day of fellowship, music, auctions, raffles, and food (including Richard's pinto beans & chow chow). Among the entertainers will be Tammy Newman, the Singing Directors (Kelly and Ruth), the Country Boys, One Accord, the Southern Prophets, Cornerstone Grass, Tina, Herbert & Catherine Conner. An auction, a silent auction, and raffles will also featured. To donate money, items, and services, call Herbert Conner at 694-4578, Linda Martin at 692-5112, or Darryl Smith at 694-7801. Send monetary donations to Naomi Pilson at 202 Bob Kat Lane, Stuart, VA 24171.

According to Deputy Ronnie Cox of the Patrick County Sheriff's Department, there will be a second benefit for Sheriff Hubbard after the holidays around the first of next year. I'm sure that there will be plenty of pinto beans to be served at both benefits...and then some!

I personally plan to support these fund-raisers because I know personally how devastating long hospitalizations can be on one's family budget even when you have health insurance coverage. Let's all pull together and help out our neighbor...who has served his county well as sheriff...David Hubbard. Continue to keep David in your prayers! Prayer is powerful. Please join me and many others in the community who are supporting this benefit effort for such as worthy cause and...enjoy the pinto beans!

Beanless but blessed,
Richard Rogers

No comments: