Friday, November 16, 2007

Dispelling a Rampant Rumor!

As a veteran of more than 30 years in the broadcast industry and an employee of WHEO Radio, on a non-continuous basis, since I was 16 years old (the year was 1967 when, as a student of the former Stuart High School, I first obtained employment here), I am naturally concerned about the future of this radio station that I love and that has provided me a source of income and a means of making a living for much of my professional life. Having graduated from Virginia Tech in 1973 (working my way through school by coming home on weekends to a job at WHEO), I have also worked for the County of Patrick, the U.S. Postal Service, and the Patrick County Public Schools Division over the years, but I have always found myself coming back home to my beloved native Patrick County when I have lived elsewhere and to this radio station for my employment.

As everyone knows, WHEO Radio is for sale by the current owner. This is a fact! What is NOT a fact, as of this date, Nov. 16, 2007, is the rumor that WHEO has already been sold. That is FALSE!!!! NOT TRUE. A MYTH. A MISSTATEMENT. A TRUTHLESS RUMOR (as most of them are) that I want to put to rest right now. WHEO has NOT BEEN SOLD as of this writing nor is the sale of the station imminent at this time, according to owner Jamie Clark.

Being an employee here, such false rumors that circulate in our community are a bit upsetting to me. I believe that when the station is ultimately sold, the management will have the decency to tell its faithful employees first without us having to hear about it on the street. I suggest that you think first before repeating idle rumors that sometimes are hurtful to persons who have a real stake in the situation at hand, in the case of the radio station or anything else. Relax folks, we will make a public announcement if and when this radio station is sold. WHEO is blessed with dedicated employees, and I am proud to be among them, who work untold hours in a very fast-paced, stressful, and, of late, uncertain environment trying to serve the people of Patrick County that we love as best we can. The major reason why I work at WHEO is that I love the people of Patrick County and, realizing that this community needs this radio station desperately, I want to serve them to be best of my ability providing ACCURATE information and community-oriented programming and entertainment. In light of that dedication, I think it is unfair to the employees of WHEO to hear these false rumors because we deserve to know about the future of our station FIRST!

I am praying that God will bless this radio station and that, no matter who owns WHEO, it will continue to provide community-oriented, local radio programing, and that it will continue to provide employment for me and other dedicated employees who, especially in my case, have much of their lives as well as their livelihoods invested in this great little radio station that is such a treasure to this community.

Until next time, may God bless you with a "great day"!

Think before you speak, shine your heartlight...

Be a beacon for our community,
Richard T. Rogers

No comments: