Monday, October 27, 2008

A Voiceless Radio Announcer

To use some familiar sports analogies...it's like a baseball power without his Louisville Slugger; it's like a race car driver with a blown engine. Yes, it's been a bit frustrating the last few days to be a radio show host without a voice. Since Friday, Oct. 24th, I have been battling a flu-like illness and the laryngitis that took my voice away in the midst of my radio show that morning and reduced me to just a whisper. I guess going full steam at work and in my community activities and personal life in recent months has finally taken its toll, sending me a warning to relax and take better care of myself. That's what I've tried to do this past weekend. My main problem is that I don't get enough rest, so I have been trying to catch up in that department lately.

I can tell you that it is helpless feeling to lose the physical ability that serves as the source of my livelihood, my voice. Sometimes we tend to take the talents, skills, and personal gifts that God has given us for granted. All too often, it seems, we don't really fully appreciate something until it is gone. That has been the case with my voice. So, henceforth, I have resolved to be more thankful each day for the blessings that God has given me. Mine may not be the perfectly pitched voice of a national network announcer but it has been good enough to earn a living for me for more years than I care to remember. As I ask God to fully restore it, I am determined to be more thankful for it and the many other gifts that He gives me each day. In fact, I think we would all be wise to do that, don't you?!

What has made battling this illness even more difficult is to look outside and see the beautiful autumn weather and the leaves reaching their peak. How nice it would be out there to enjoy the warmth of the sun and the beauties of nature in the fall. However, I have resisted the temptation to get out there and enjoy the blue skies, green grass, radiant sunshine, and glorious foliage. These are more blessings that God brings to us each fall that we tend to take for granted. Take time this autumn to enjoy them while you can!

I would like to thank those of you who have called to check on me, brought food, or sent get well cards. I appreciate your genuine kindness and concern. My ability to speak is slowly coming back and, hopefully, this voiceless radio announcer will be back on the air in a day or two.

I leave you with my love and a prayer that God will bless you with a great day!

Richard

No comments: