Monday, March 23, 2009

Hospital Administrator Resigns

Less than one month into the new management contract with Pioneer Health Services, the R.J. Reynolds Patrick County Memorial Hospital has lost the administrative officer who nursed the troubled medical facility through its darkest times. Janice Wilkins told me tonight that she submitted her resignation as hospital administrator today, Mon., Mar. 23, 2009. "It is time in my life for me to put my priorities in order, the Lord first, then my family and my community," said Wilkins. "I'm very proud of how we made it through some difficult times. It has been a tough 4 years," added Mrs. Wilkins of her tenure as administrator of the financially struggling local hospital. She said "a wonderful group of people kept the facility open," during its most difficult times. Mrs. Wilkins said she will announce her future plans in about two weeks. her resignation will become effective May 1, 2009.

I know Janice personally and how hard she has worked to keep the hospital open. I can't imagine anyone being more dedicated to a cause or as passionate about an institution as Janice is about our local hospital. Janice, I commend you and past and present members of your staff for your perseverence and dedication to keeping the hospital afloat on the stormy seas upon which it has sailed in recent years. I wish you much success in your future indeavors and look forward to continuing to work with you in service to our community as members of the Stuart Rotary Club.

I am hopeful that the new management team at the hospital will be able to rescue the hospital but the loss of Mrs. Wilkins as administrator is a real setback it seems to me. I urge everyone in the community to utilize the services that are still available at the hospital or will become available to the public in the future. Only through public support will the hospital be able to ultimately survive and become economically viable again no matter who runs it. Our local hospital has lost a very able administrator but we must continue on as a community to help keep the hospital that we so desperately need in Patrick County. Let's keep the hospital's new management in our prayers...as well as Mrs. Wilkins as she embarks upon a new phase of her life.

Proudly Patrick,
Richard

No comments: