Sunday, February 18, 2007

This Peter Pan Won't Fly!

After hearing the news last week about the salmonella outbreak linked to the Peter Pan and Great Value brands, I checked the cupboard in my home. Sure enough, there, right beside my regular Jif brand, was a single jar of Peter Pan peanut butter with the product number "2111" on the lid. The thing is, the jar was three-quarters empty! I've been blessed though because I haven't been sick in any way in months (knock on wood!). Normally I eat Jif but the one time I decide to try another brand, you might know that there was a possibility that it might be tained. Anyway, I'm going to take my almost consumed jar of Peter Pan back to the grocery store for a refund.

I commend local grocers who reacted quickly to the announcement Wednesday that jars of Peter Pan and Great Value brand peanut butter with the number 2111 on the lid had been recalled after being linked to a salmonella outbreak that has sickened nearly 300 people in about 40 states. Thank God I wasn't one of them! A telephone survey Friday morning on "The Great Day in the Morning Show" showed that Lowe's, Foodlion, and Wal-Mart in Stuart had all acted promptly and responsibly in pulling the suspect brands from their grocery shelves. Ironically, the Peter Pan brand had just been put on sale at one of the local stores when the announcement about the salmonella threat was made. Now, it's headed for Neverland! Be sure to check you pantry or cupboard to make sure that you don't consume something that might make you ill.

Be healthy and blessed!

Richard

No comments: