Sunday, June 10, 2007

Piggin' Out on Pasta!

We all love to eat out and since I live alone now, I find myself doing it more often. In fact, it is rare that I prepare a full meal in my kitchen. If I eat at home, it's usually a garden salad or a sandwich, just simple stuff that requires little preparation. There are many good restaurants that I like, but lately I've really enjoyed going to some of the fund-raising meals served by local non-profit organizations to make a little money for their particular causes. It seems someone is holding one of these meals every weekend. I've found that you always get more than you money's worth when you patronize the civic groups, volunteer departments, churches, clubs, and other organizations that regular offer these meals whether it be breakfast, lunch, or supper. You always get great food prepared with alot love for a very low price. In addition to enjoying the food, you always have the satisfaction of knowing that by participating in these events you are helping these organizations carry on their worthwhile work to make our community a better place in which to live.

I'd like to thank the Dobyns Community Club for my most recent delicious meal of this sort. Friday night, I really enjoyed the wonderful spaghetti along with a fresh salad, garlic bread, drink, and dessert (I chose the coconut pie after deliberating long and hard over the many delicious choice available). This great meal in a warm, cozy atmosphere among friends cost only $5. What a deal! The service was the best part. It was terrific. I'd like to thank members of the Dobyns Community Club including Annie Belle Dalton, President; Mildred Clement, Vice-President; Joyce Belcher, Secretary-Treasurer; David Sheeley, Brenda Simms, and Cecil and Onie Vaughn. I really enjoyed the fellowship as much as the food. I also say many friends at this event and a few politicians who are seeking office in the November election too. I am glad to support this cause because folks in the Dobyns Community should be commended for their hard work in fixing up and maintaining their building. I hope the club holds dinners much more frequently. Thanks again folks for a wonderful meal and a delightful evening among friends in your beautiful community. It was just another example of what Patrick County is all about. What a great place to live.

Hey, don't forget dad this Sunday. Be sure to honor your father on his special day, June 17th, or honor the memory of those fathers who await family reunions in Heaven. My father, Ralph Rogers, passed away on Thanksgiving Day, 1960, when I was 9 years old. I sometimes think how my life might have been different had he lived to see me grow to maturity (some would say I still haven't reached that point). I am thankful, however, for what little time I did have with him. I am also thankful for my wonderful step-father Spot Ray. In addition to growing some of the finest tomatoes that I've ever sunk a tooth into, he is a loving, gentle, and kind Christian man. I thank God for him and his positive influence on my life, and for my mother who is the dearest, sweetest Christian saint that I have ever known. I love them both and my family! I am blessed to have a loving, caring family. Spend this Sunday with yours and make dad feel like the special guy that he will always be!

Have a great week and keep it here at 1270 WHEO, the Heart of Patrick County for "The Great Day in the Morning Show"...weekdays from 6-10 a.m. Call me on sometime on "Community Conversation," the WHEO morning call-in show. God bless you.

At your service,
Richard Rogers

No comments: