Sunday, June 3, 2007

Remembering My "Granny"!

The WHEO radio family suffered a great loss on Thursday, May 31st, when my dear friend and frequent radio talk show companion affectionately known as "Granny" Thomas went to her Heavenly home to be with Jesus. For the past decade, "Granny" brightened the lives of many fellow WHEO listeners by her witty, candid comments and her uplifting words as a regular caller to the radio talk show "Community Conversation." Granny was perhaps the most colorful personality among the myriad of callers with whom I've been blessed to speak since I began hosting this morning call-in show. She was an original, a one of a kind!

I have no living grandmother of my own but "Granny" immediately filled that void. I quickly adopted her as not only my on-air Granny but my real life "Granny" as well. I loved her just like she was a biological grandmother. I looked forward to hearing from Granny every day. In the rare instances when she didn't call in, I worried that something might be wrong with her and tried to check on her. When my regular talk show guests failed to show up or were forced to cancel, I knew I could count on "Granny" Thomas to step, make the first call, and get the show rolling. Often her comments would spark extended discussions on various topics that would attract many other callers to the program. She was a credit to my show!

Granny Thomas had a wonderful sense of humor. I will never forget the time about 4 years ago when Rev. Jim Dunn came to be the new pastor at her Fairystone church. She was so proud to tell me about him in one of our radio conversations. I asked her how she liked him and she responded with a nonchalant "Oh, he'll do." Rev. Dunn said that everywhere he went folks would joke about Granny's comment. "That's just the way she was," he said as he spoke affectionately of his association with Odean "Granny" Thomas during her touching graveside funeral service at the Foley Cemetery on Pole Bride Rd. Saturday, June 2nd. "If you asked her now how Heaven is, she would probably tell you, 'It'll do'," said Rev. Dunn with a smile. I take comfort that she is enjoying her Heavenly home now with a new healed body and in the company of, among other loved ones, her adopted granddaughter, "my Sweetie," Sandra Rogers.

Granny Thomas contracted polio at an early age but she never let her handicap stand in the way of living her life to the fullest and serving others. She was an integral part of the Fairystone Volunteer Fire Department and Ladies Auxiliary, a charter member, in fact. I have heard stories from many who knew her well about how even though she couldn't walk, she would "crawl" to her garden to give her plants and vegetables all her tender loving care. I often met Granny Thomas at functions in the community and always enjoyed the big hug that she loved to give me and the one that I was happy to return. Every Monday morning, you could bet that she would be right there with her church group singing for the residents of the Landmark Center in Stuart, one of her favorite outings. Granny Thomas should serve as an example to all of us who despite our blessings of relative good health and prosperity often complain about our problems, make excuses when adverse circumstances arise, and sometimes doubt our abilities to get things done. We should follow the teaching of granny by the way she lived her life and put all those doubts, complaints, and excuses out of our minds. We can all learn much from the example set by this wonderful lady. Granny Thomas was, as Rev. Dunn noted, a "can do" person who never let her handicaps hold her back and always maintained a positive attitude, trusting in God to see her through in every situation. She leaves us a Christian model that we all can follow in tribute to and in honor of her memory.

I will always remember Granny Thomas for, not only her positive outlook on life and her witty charm but, perhaps most notably, her generosity. She was a lady of limited means but I never conducted a radio fundraiser or asked for monetary donations for worthy causes in our community (Lord knows I've been involved in a few of those) that she wasn't one of the first to phone in a pledge or donation. Her check would be in the mail almost immediately and she'd always follow up to be sure it had been received. In our recent "12 Hours for a Cure" for the American Cancer Society, Granny Thomas even made not one but two donations. She was a giving person...a kind and loving woman...and, most notably of all, a Christian lady. I never talked to Granny when she didn't let her faith in God come shining through. She was an inspiration to me and the thousands of radio listeners who came to know and love her through her participation in my talk shows. When granny was on the radio, she was the star of the show! Granny Thomas did the very best that she could at all times. Granny's was truly a life well-lived. Now whe lives eternally in a healed body! I loved her and I will miss her. However, I'm sure Granny's spirit will still be there to guide and encourage me in my daily meanderings on the airways of 1270 AM on the radio dial. Thanks for the memories, my dear Granny Thomas!

Yours in loving service,
Richard Rogers

No comments: