Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Heaven Welcomes My Friend, Brandon!

I lost a dear little friend with a big heart today! Brandon Dillon...the beloved 7-year-old Stuart boy who inspired our community with his courage, his concern for others, and his passion for life...died Wednesday, June 18, 2008, peacefully and victoriously ending his 5-year battle against leukemia. Since age 2, Brandon suffered from acute lympoblastic leukemia, a form or leukemia, or cancer of the white blood cells.

Brandon inspired the founding of Faith for the Miracle, a Christian ministry that serves children with cancer or rare diseases and their families. Tammy Bowman, who founded the ministry with her husband Brad, said Brandon was a most remarkable child. "Brandon was very special to me and he was the first child in our ministry. I love him very much, just as if he was my own. We called him our little preacher boy. He loved the Lord so much," said Mrs. Bowman.

The quality for which I will remember Brandon most is his unselfishness, his concern for other people above himself, and his sensitivity to the needs of others, especially to his mother, Tammy Dillon, and his sisters, Tiffany and Sara, whom he loved so much. Brandon never asked for anything for himself without first asking many times for these things wanted or needed by his mother and sisters. He was one of the most protective children I have ever known. He was also very concerned about the well-being of the other 5 children served so far by Faith for the Miracle, asking Mrs. Bowman several weeks before his death to make sure that the other children served by this non-profit ministry are cared for. "Brandon asked me to make sure that I fought for the other kids and helped them," said Mrs. Bowman.

Thankfully, in the weeks and months before his death, with the support of Faith for the Miracle volunteers and many other caring citizens in the community, Brandon had the opportunity to enjoy many special moments, including catching his first fish (a large trout), becoming an honorary fireman, riding a 4-wheeler for the first time, taking a flight in the Air Care helicopter, enjoying appearances by Disney characters at a party given in his honor, going to Chuckie Cheese, singing his rendition of Alan Jackson's song "Small Town Southern Man" on my radio show, visiting the Richard Childress Racing shop, going swimming, and, most special of all, recently visiting his father whom he had not seen in 5 years. In one of his last outings, Brandon asked his mother about 2 weeks ago to bring him to see me at the radio station. On that memorable day, I introduced Brandon to the WHEO staff, gave him a tour of the radio station, and interviewed him for my show. Everyone on the staff took to him immediately, and Brandon became a part of our radio family.

Brandon's survivors include his mother Tammy Dillon; his father, Jeffery Richards; his stepfather, Benny Carter, his sisters, Tiffany Alice and Sara Ann Dillon; 2 brothers, Chris and Willie Lamb; and his grandparents, Virginia and Roger Dillon and Betty Deal.

On behalf of the family, special thanks are extended to the staff of Hospice of Patrick County for their loving care and compassion. The local Hospice of Patrick County team worked so hard to make sure that Brandon was as comfortable, happy, pain-free, and as well cared for as humanly possible in the last weeks of his life.

Brandon touched many hearts during his brief earthly life, especially mine! During the past several months, I have been blessed with opportunities to celebrate his life, to have him on my radio show, to attend his party, to see his joy and enjoy his company at the American Cancer Society Relay for Life event, and to sit by his bedside and hold his hand as he prepared to join the angels of Heaven. Last Sunday evening, I was sitting there by his bed against a wall completely covered with cards and tokens of love from his many friends and well wishers, and he asked me for a hug. After our friendly embrace, Brandon looked at me and whispered "I love you, Richard." Believe me, the feeling was mutural and that sentiment was shared by countless people in our community and beyond.

Remarkably mature beyond his 7 years, Brandon graced this world for only a short while, but he certainly left an indelible mark upon my heart and the many others who knew and loved him!

No more suffering, no more pain, Brandon has conquered cancer! Jesus welcomed him home today! So long, my friend, Brandon...until we meet again on Heaven's playground!

I love you, Brandon!

Your friend,
Richard

No comments: